Search our knowledge base or browse categories below.
Decentralized applications, or dApps, are applications built on blockchain technology that operate on a decentralized network instead of a central server. Unlike traditional applications, dApps are open-source, transparent, and operate autonomously based on a set of rules or smart contracts.
Key aspects of dApps
- Decentralized: dApps are decentralized, meaning they operate on a peer-to-peer network and are not controlled by a central entity. This makes them more secure and resistant to censorship and hacking.
- Open-source: dApps are built on open-source software, meaning that the code is publicly available for anyone to inspect and contribute to. This creates a transparent and collaborative environment for developers.
- Autonomous: dApps operate autonomously based on a set of rules or smart contracts that are programmed into the blockchain. This eliminates the need for intermediaries and creates a trustless environment.
- Cryptocurrency-based: dApps are often built on blockchain networks that have their own cryptocurrency. Transactions within the dApp are conducted using the cryptocurrency, which creates a new economy within the dApp.
Examples of dApps:
- Uniswap: Uniswap is a decentralized exchange (DEX) that allows users to trade cryptocurrencies without the need for an intermediary. It operates based on a set of smart contracts that are programmed into the Ethereum blockchain.
- Augur: Augur is a decentralized prediction market platform that allows users to bet on the outcomes of real-world events. It operates on the Ethereum blockchain and is governed by a set of smart contracts.
- CryptoKitties: CryptoKitties is a blockchain-based game that allows users to buy, sell, and breed digital cats. It operates on the Ethereum blockchain and uses the cryptocurrency ETH for transactions.
- Brave: Brave is a web browser that uses blockchain technology to block ads and protect user privacy. It operates on the Basic Attention Token (BAT) blockchain, which is used to reward users for their attention.
Overall, dApps represent an exciting new frontier in the world of blockchain technology. As more developers and users adopt dApps, we can expect to see new and innovative applications that change the way we interact with technology and each other.
Don't find your answer? Please mail to us.